Thursday, January 14
Posted January 15, 2021
It was our third, 1st day of school this Monday! It has been a joy to have students back in the building. Students have shown leadership, flexibility, and adaptability throughout all of these transitions. They have been upholding the health and safety guidelines while balancing engagement on academics! Way to SOAR Asbury Eagles!
As we look forward to this week, we will take a day to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As we celebrate “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day”, we’re reminded that today is a day to honor, reflect and celebrate the life and legacy of one who is known to many as the greatest civil rights leaders in history.
Please see this Community Letter (also linked below) for more information about the principal selection process. You will see a community input survey linked in the letter, please take a few minutes to fill this out- we value your input!
As part of our last Return and Reconnect Committee meeting, we talked about how we might have a more transparent process for communicating Asbury activities. We are committed to keeping the Asbury School Calendar updated with school-level and grade-level activities.
- Reminder: Please respect our school neighbors by not parking in a manner that blocks their driveways. Please use the kiss-and-go lane for pick up instead of parking.
- ANY AND ALL COVID questions should be directed to the Nurse’s office at 720-424-9755
- No school, Monday, January 18th to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. day
- Please read this Community Letter from our Regional Instructional Superintendent providing an update on the principal selection process.
- Return and Reconnect Committee:
- We will continue these as monthly connection points, so if you are interested in joining the Return and Reconnect Committee, please sign up here.
- Please remind students that we would like for them to sign up for this committee as well. Please have them sign up here.
- If you missed last week’s Town Hall, you can get caught up with all the questions/answers that were asked via this Padlet link
- Picture day has been rescheduled for February 9th and 10th. K-2 on the 9th, 3-5 on the 10th.
- Are you interested in being a guest reader? Perhaps you would like to remotely volunteer to lead a mindful moment, a yoga break, or offer your expertise in a classroom? If you are looking for a way to volunteer at Asbury, please reach out to Jeanna Doung or your classroom teachers!
- Here is our School Calendar you can check for upcoming school events and activities.
- Kiss and Go: If you are planning on dropping students off in a vehicle, please use the Kiss and Go lane only to ensure safety.
- Water bottle and snack donations would be much appreciated!!
- Please call the Attendance line (720)424-9797 if your student will be absent from class (in person AND remote).
- If your child is absent for less than 3 days due to travel, a minor cold, or other extenuating circumstance please reach out to your teacher with any questions, but they will not join the remote class. They can access Seesaw on their own however to access assignments.
- If your child is in quarantine for an extended period of time (3 days or more) they may log on to the remote class supports.
- No adults will be allowed past the office unless there is a student emergency. If your student is arriving late or leaving early there is a sign-in/out QR code (please bookmark in case you do not bring your phone) on the office door you can use.
- Kindergarten school tours have begun. We will be hosting virtual tours for families that are interested. Each Friday in January we will host a Q&A for all prospective students and families. Reach out to Maggie with any questions. Information will be shared on Asbury’s Website under the Enrollment/School Tours page.
PTSO **NEW INFO BELOW**
- The Asbury Direct Give Campaign will take place from February 22nd – March 6th.
- Save the Date for the upcoming “A Magical Evening With Asbury” Virtual Fundraiser taking place on Saturday, 3/6/21 from 5 pm-6:30 pm. It will be a family-friendly event and we welcome you to share the attached flyer with family, friends, neighbors, and alumni! We are excited to come together as a community! Details to follow. If you would like to help organize the event, email Kim Nyhus at Asbury.PTSO@gmail.com.
- **NEW**Help wanted! The Asbury Backpack Program provides families in our community with a backpack of nutritious food every Thursday. If you’d like to receive a backpack and are not already a part of the program please sign up by clicking on one of the links below:
Receive a Backpack Recibir una mochilia de comida
The Backpack program is run by volunteers. If you would like to help by filling and delivering backpacks Sign Up HERE.
If you would like to provide a monetary donation to support families in our community you can send your donation via Venmo to @AsburyPTSO (in the comments put a note that it’s for the backpack program).
If you have questions please contact the co-Chairs of the program:
Amy Fitzgerald email@example.com
Courtney Cauthon firstname.lastname@example.org
John Bradley email@example.com
- Dyslexia Parent Support Group ** New Event**
Wednesday, January 20th, 12:00 – 12:45
Google Meet Info: http://meet.google.com/fpa-ydsx-rnb
(US)+1 347-943-4533 PIN: 266 300 692#
Are you interested in learning more about Dyslexia? What is it? What resources are available? Supporting our children during the pandemic has been uniquely challenging. This virtual lunch meeting provides an opportunity for parents to come together to share experiences, resources, and programs that have helped their children succeed in literacy, and to band together to advocate for resources for Asbury students. These are difficult times for all families with young children, but this is especially true for children who are struggling with learning to read and write. Remote learning has made it harder for kids who are having trouble with literacy to get the help that they need. I am interested in convening this parent group within the Asbury community to figure out how we can help each other.
For additional information, please contact Asbury parent Esther Duke (EstherAliceDuke@gmail.com)
- Calling All Community Builders! We are looking for parents who are interested in hosting Zoom get-togethers and activities during this time of “safer-at-home”. Since in-person gatherings are not possible, we are hoping to bring our community together virtually. Let us know if you can help! Please contact Meaghan McCabe at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up as a host.
- PTSO meetings will be on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30 pm. Our next meeting is Tuesday, February 2nd.
- Business Sponsor – Are you interested or do you know someone interested in being a Business Sponsor? Now is the time to support Asbury students and staff while promoting your product or service. You’ll also receive the benefit of a tax write off. Please contact Andrea Cocking or Kelly Smith to get signed up and get your banner up!
- 1/18/21 – NO SCHOOL
- 1/27/21 – Dine Out event with Torchy’s Tacos (Hampden & I-25 location)
- 2/2/21 – PTSO Meeting via Zoom at 6 pm
- 2/9/21 – Dine Out event with Bird Call
- 2/22/21 – 3/6/21 – Direct Give Campaign
- 3/6/21 – A Magical Evening with Asbury Virtual Event
Technology Resources from Mrs. Ravel (updated)
Logging in to a Chromebook
Parent Guide to Chromebooks
Seesaw for Parents
A Magical Evening with Asbury
Picture Day Flyer
Picture Day Order Form Information