Thursday Folders – September 29, 2022
Posted September 30, 2022
Carnival was a huge success! It was great to see everyone who was able to celebrate and have fun! Not only did we play so many fun games, but we ate lots of popcorn, got our faces painted, colored our hair, laughed and enjoyed coming together as a community! Carnival was such a fun night that truly reminds me of the strength of what this community is all about- coming together and supporting one another. I am looking forward to hosting our two principals for the day!
This week is going to be a short week with students! Thursday and Friday will be dedicated to teachers improving their practice. We have an Asbury Release Day and a DPS Release Day on 9/29 and 9/30. These days are crucial to setting teachers up to support students in our building. During these days we have professional development, analyze data, and collaboratively plan together. When we have release days, we engage in topics that support our school-wide priorities of inclusion and PBL. This Thursday, we will be going deeper in our priority of inclusion and learning about best practices to support all our students in our classrooms. We will also take time to plan together to best support the individual needs of our students. On Friday, we will continue to plan and engage in district-led professional development. These days are crucial to the success of our teachers and students in our building, so we are thankful that our community supports these days in our calendar!
Don’t forget, next Friday, 10/7 from 9-10 that monthly Coffee Talks with me are back! We welcome any who are interested in joining me in the library for time to talk through school related business, questions you may have, and any celebrations of learning happening in the building! This first coffee talk will be focused on our budget process and how it is connected to enrollment. I can’t wait to share ideas and to talk about how best to support Asbury in the future!
- Whole Child Data Collection: As part of our effort to support the Whole Child, our school will be implementing a universal social and emotional screening for all students. Denver Public Schools currently uses a social and emotional screening questionnaire called the Behavior and Emotional Screening System (BESS). Students in the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade will use the online tool, which takes approximately ten minutes to complete and consists of 28 questions for the student to answer. Teachers will also complete a screening form on each student in the building (K-5). Students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade will complete the self-report the week of October 10th. This year there is also a parent form that will be available. Please use this link to add your voice to our BESS screening of your student: https://review360connect.com/Prod/DenverPublicSchools/Parent You have the right, upon request, to review the questions on the screener. If you would like to review the questions on the social and emotional screener, please ask Amber Baca in the front office to view the form. You also have the option to EXEMPT your 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade child from participating in the self-report. If you DO NOT want your child to participate in social and emotional screening, please indicate so by completing this form by Friday, September 23. If we do not receive the OPT-OUT form from you, we will assume you are choosing to have your child participate in social and emotional screening taking place during the week of October 10.Thank you for your assistance as we work together to educate and support your student! Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
- Monthly Coffee Talks with Ms. D are Back: Coffee Talks will be hosted monthly in person starting 10/7 from 9-10! We welcome any who are interested in joining me in the library for time to talk through school related business, questions you may have, and any celebrations of learning happening in the building! We look forward to seeing you! This first coffee talk will be focused on our budget process!
- DPS ‘Your Voice/Tu Voz’ Survey Opens on Sept. 26: As a reminder, the DPS “Your Voice/Tu Voz” surveys will be available beginning Sept. 26. An email from Superintendent Dr. Marrero with links to the current surveys will be sent to students’ and staff’s DPS emails — families will receive the survey link to the primary email they have entered in Parent Portal — on Monday, Sept. 26.
- Fall Parent Teacher Conferences: Please be on the lookout for parent teacher conference information from your teachers! We will have both in person and virtual options for parents to sign up for conferences for all students!
- PTSO meetings will be the first Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:00pm. Our next meeting will be VIRTUAL on Tuesday, October 4th.
- Meeting: PTSO- Virtual
- Date: Tuesday, October 4 · 6:00 – 7:00pm
- CSC Meeting: The CSC or the Collaborative School Committee meeting is a diverse group of stakeholders that include community members, teachers, staff and parents. We come together monthly to solve different issues, including budget, positions, and curriculum. Our first next CSC meeting is from 5-6 on October 4th. Information on how to join virtually is below:
- Meeting: CSC- Virtual
- Date: Tuesday, October 4 · 5:00 – 6:00pm
- Bus Stop Information Now Available in Parent Portal: If families reach out about their student’s bus stop information, please direct them to the Parent Portal. Please use this link that has instructions on how to find bus stop locations and pick up/drop off times.
- Walk to School Day Save the Date! – October 12th.
Upcoming Exciting Events:
- FUN RUN IS BACK! It will be on Thursday, Nov. 17th during Specials.
Be on the lookout for more information.
- Join your friends, family and teammates at the last Rapids home game of the season. Buy your tickets HERE
- Skate City is POSTPONED! We will be in touch with a rescheduled date soon!
Community Assistance Fund & Backpack Program:
- The Asbury Backpack program is back for the 2022-23 school year. Could you and your family use a backpack full of food for the weekends? Sign up HERE.
- To volunteer with the Community Assistance Fund & Backpack Program on Friday mornings, please sign up here!
For more information, any questions, ideas, and/or concerns, etc. please reach out to Asbury.PTSO@gmail.com We appreciate you!
September 27 – Camp at Lincoln Elementary
Letter about camp relocation from Asbury to Lincoln
All After School Enrichment opportunities
Picture Day Form (coming soon!)
September 29 & 30 – Asbury and DPS Non-Student Contact Days
October 1 – Colorado Rapids Game Night
October 10 – Chipotle Dine Out
October 14 & 17- DPS Non-Student Contact Days