Thursday Folders – March 16, 2023
Posted March 16, 2023
Asbury Eagle Families-
We are so excited to introduce a second time for conferences. Our spring conferences will be a showcase through Student-Led Conferences at Asbury! We have heard your input and voice and determined that a time to celebrate learning will be adding to the calendar twice a year- once in fall and once in spring! The fall conferences are set up to be a traditional parent/teacher conference. Our spring conference will be a student led conference, which aligns with our personalized learning and PBL philosophy!
Timeline: Spring; April 27, 2023
Purpose: To ensure student voice, choice and learner agency, Asbury will host a showcase of learning through spring student led conferences. During this time, parents will come into an open house and have an opportunity to participate in student learning through learner portfolios. Students will take their parents through reflections of their education, showcase learning experiences and projects through sharing of student work, educational games and other activities. Asbury is a personalized learning school that values voice, choice and learner agency. As part of that process, showcasing learning and reflecting on learning should be part of the school year reflection process.
Before the conferences, teachers will work with students to create a learner profile in order to showcase learning. The reflection questions students will work through during the showcase include:
- What are you proud of?
- What are your successes?
- What poses challenges?
The learner profile can include, but are not limited to:
- Educational games/apps
- PBL Projects
- Exit Tickets
- Writing Samples
- Literacy- Dish a Story Story
During the Conferences: Students will be leading the conferences, so teachers can host up to 5 or 6 families at a time. Each conference should last around 20 minutes. Teachers should rove, check in, and ask questions to students to keep the showcase focused on the student learning. Teachers will host their homeroom students during an open house event that is on the same night as another event to support attendance.
Mark your calendars: April 27, 2023 from 4:00-5:00
- What if I want time with my teacher for a conference with them?
- We have time set aside in the fall for parent/teacher conferences and we are working to build a coherent system for sharing data with families. The purpose of these showcases of learning is to learn from your child on all the amazing things that they are learning about. Teachers and students have put a lot of work into these showcases and we ask that you participate in these and learn through them before reaching out.
- What about students with READ Plans?
- We will not be hosting separate parent teacher conferences in the spring for students with READ Plans. Our MTSS process is robust and supports ongoing progress monitoring, parent communication and supports for students on read plans and all our students in the MTSS process.
- What is in the portfolio?
- Math, Literacy, SEAL, and PBL examples of work to showcase. Students will take their families through each section of learning with these reflection questions in mind:
- What are you proud of?
- What are your successes?
- What poses challenges?
We are excited about this opportunity and look forward to it!
- NEW: CMAS Lunch/Recess Support
- We are in need of some volunteers to help with lunch and recess duties during CMAS testing 4/10-4/20. If you are interested, please click this sign up genius link…
- CMAS/CoAlt Window for Testing – 4/10-4/28 (3rd, 4th, and 5th graders)
- Asbury Talent Show – March 17th
- School Performance @ 1:00
- Family Performance @ 4:30
- MLL families! Our next district MLE DAC meeting will be on March 22nd at West High School. This meeting will be held in the morning, from 9:30 am – 11 am.
- April 19th Wednesday 2:40-5:30 pm Please join us and look at the amazing art that Asbury artists have created!
- March 24- Non Student Contact Day for Asbury and then we will have Spring Break that next week, from March 27-31!
- Don’t forget: It is still chilly out and students remain outdoors even when it is 30 degrees, so please bundle your kiddos up!
- Check out the March Edition of The Eagles’ Flying Facts Student Newspaper
- Discovery Link Families: We will have a sign up for Discovery Link for Spring Break, including March 24. Camp will be hosted at Slavens and if you have any questions, contact Ronnie.
- Save the Date: DPS District Science Fair Happening April 29: The DPS District Science Fair — embedded in the New DPS Steam Expo — will be held on April 29. Teachers and parents can help students register their projects here. Please keep an eye out for updates in Schoology for grade-level groups and science email updates. For more information, visit the DPS Science Fair webpage. If you have questions, contact Eva Bridgeforth.
- Summer Connections: Denver Public Schools (DPS) is beginning enrollment for Summer Connections for all eligible families currently in kindergarten to fourth grade. The new SEAL program will offer free classes in core subjects to enrolled students, allowing them to get ahead of critical course material and get a head start on the upcoming school year. For more information, please check out the Summer Connections website at https://www.dpsk12.org/academics/summer-connections/ . To enroll your student in the free summer program, go to https://myportal.dpsk12.org/.
- YearBook Updates:
- Because Asbury chose the customization option everyone that orders a yearbook can customize two pages for their child! Parents must use this link to activate their account, pay for the yearbook, and start customizing. This flier with more info is attached.
- Lost and Found is overflowing! Please remind your students to go and check. Parents are welcome to come in and check at drop off or pick up. Just check in at the office. All lost and found items will be donated on Friday, March 24.
- Camp Comfort is a summer camp to support children who have experienced the loss of a loved one. Please view this flyer and share it with any family that you think would be interested. The camp is free, only a $25 deposit is required to hold their spot.
PTSO Officers for 2023-24 school year!! If you have an interest in serving as a PTSO Officer, please reach out so that you can learn more, shadow a current PTSO leader and hear all the exciting ways you can be involved! Email Asbury.PTSO@gmail.com and we will be sure to direct you to the right place!
YEARBOOK SUPPORT! Listy Lehman is leading this effort. Listy has it under control but could use another set of eyes to help her (and Ms. Baca) to finalize the photos, names and to get marketing out to the masses! (please contact: email@example.com)
Spring Wing Auction EXPERIENCES: Amanda O’Neill and Shannon Durling are leading this effort. (We need 2 more people to help with this effort!)
This is an opportunity to get to know more parents, plan fun gatherings for our community and help organize the experience details for Spring Wing on May 5th. There’s no requirement to host an experience or to attend Spring Wing. Most work is done simply by email and phone calls at times that are convenient for you.
Spring Wing Auction Experiences are an Asbury tradition that help us succeed in our goal of community engagement and are an excellent source of fundraising. Hosted “Experiences” are social fundraising events hosted by an Asbury family or group of families who share in the cost of putting together the event. Asbury Experiences are available as part of the Spring Wing Auction. Spring Wing attendees have the opportunity to bid on an experience. All proceeds from the Experiences go directly to Asbury.
Examples include: Pool party, picnics, movie night, ice cream social, pizza in the park, mom’s cocktail party, Dad’s BBQ, workout classes, adult casino night, family olympics, taco truck night, bikes/brew brewery tour, whiskey tastings, art classes and so much more.
Spring Wing Auction Committee – Amy Fitzgerald and Olivia Jolly are leading this effort. We could use 3-5 more people to help call on local businesses to donate items for our Spring Wing on May 5th. There is already a list generated, a letter created and a script for you. It’s a fun way to meet businesses in the area!
4) How else can you help with Spring Wing? We are so glad you asked!
- Are you a business owner? Do you know an owner who wants to donate? We would love to include items from your business in the auction and help you reach new patrons! Please contact Amy Fitzgerald or Olivia Jolly to discuss how to include your business. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Donate a bottle of wine valued between $20-$100. There will be a “Wine Wall” at the event, where purchasers will pull a mystery bottle and take it home to enjoy! You can bring wine donations to the front office or contact Olivia Jolly (email@example.com)
- Host an experience. Consider hosting a family, kid, or adult experience. The possibilities are endless and we are always looking for new ideas! In the past, families have teamed up to host Bikes & Brews, Adult Field Day, pool parties, wine tastings, taco nights and more! Have an event idea? We can’t wait to hear about it! Contact Amanda O’Neill (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss this fun opportunity.
- Donate frequent flier airline miles! – contact Olivia Jolly (email@example.com)
- Own a mountain or vacation home?– Would you consider donating a weekend or longer for an Asbury family to bid on and stay there? Contact Olivia Jolly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Solicit local businesses for donations. We are looking for people to approach local businesses for donations to the silent auction. Contact Amy Fitzgerald (email@example.com) to discuss which businesses in the neighborhood still need to be approached.
- Event Sponsorship. If you are interested in becoming an event sponsor please contact Oliviajolly@gmail.com for more information about this new opportunity! We are currently seeking beer & wine sponsors, food sponsors, event sponsors and could use your help!
Theatre Improv and Hip Hop Dance
Sticky Fingers – (Spring Session) – Wednesdays April 5-May 24 (2:40-3:40)
Clay Play (Spring Session 2)
Art Fun! (Spring Session)
Skate Start (Spring Session)
Learn to Play Basketball/Lacrosse at DU
Spring Running Club Information
Rapids Game Flyer
Summer Camp Opportunity at The Waldorf School
MSU Denver Junior Roadrunners Camp
All After School Enrichment opportunities
If you are interested in Discovery link, please visit https://equity.dpsk12.org/extended-learning/discovery-link/school-year-program/
Asbury Day– Friday March 24th Full Day (There was a mistake but it is fixed and parents can now select it as a full day)
Spring Break Camp – Monday March 27th, Tuesday March 28th and Monday April 3rd, Sign up opens on Monday March 20th and it will be held at Slavens Elementary School.
March 16 (6-7pm) – Virtual CMAS Parent Night – tonight!
March 17 – Asbury’s Got Talent! Shows at 1:00pm and 4:30pm
March 24- Non Student Contact Day for Asbury
March 27-31 – Spring Break
April 3 – No School for Students
April 30: Colorado Rapids Asbury Night!
- Rapids vs. St. Louis @ 7:30
- Tickets can be purchased here
- Click HERE to view the flyer.
April 10-28 – CMAS/CoAlt Testing Window
April 19 – WOW Art Show: Art Walk and Scavenger Hunt @2:40-5:30pm
April 27- Open House (Student Led Conferences)/ Dish a Story
May 5 – Spring Wing (more information to follow)
May 11-12- 5th grade at Balarat
May 19 – Field Day
May 26 – Field Day Rain Date