Thursday Folders – February 2, 2023
Posted February 2, 2023
Asbury Eagle Families-
It was a chilly one this week! So, let’s warm up with some celebrations for the week:
- Students are working hard and showcasing their amazing learning! Kindergarteners have their Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. portraits and writing up in the hallway. Their writing about how to impact the world in a positive way like King did is inspirational! Way to go, Kinder!
- Our Art Jam was this week. It was so amazing to see students working hard to showcase their work to families. Then to have the time to work on creation together was also amazing! Thanks to our art teacher, Ms. Werner, for making this such a special celebration!
I am proud of the work that everyone is putting into their learning and can’t wait to see what else is in store! Go Eagles!
Let’s also look forward to some amazing things for next week:
- I can’t wait to see the 3rd graders work with their WAX museum! We will host many figures in history including Ruby Bridges and Eleanore Roosevelt in our very own school!
- It is READ-A-Thon week! This is my favorite time of the year!
- Save the Dates!
- CMAS/CoAlt Window for Testing – 4/10-4/28 (3rd, 4th, and 5th graders)
- February 10- Hold for Asbury Dance
- K-2 3:30-4:30
- 3-5 5:00-6:00
- February 14 – Grandfriends Day – More information to follow!
- March 17th – Asbury’s Got Talent! More information to follow!
- HR News from Discovery Link: Harvey, our Program Supervisor, will be moving to a new position starting Feb. 1. We wish him all the best and will start looking to fill the role of Program Supervisor now.
- Save the Date: DPS District Science Fair Happening April 29: The DPS District Science Fair — embedded in the New DPS Steam Expo — will be held on April 29. Teachers and parents can help students register their projects here. Please keep an eye out for updates in Schoology for grade-level groups and science email updates. For more information, visit the DPS Science Fair webpage. If you have questions, contact Eva Bridgeforth.
- Tomorrow, February 3 from 7:50-8:20 Please join us for Eaglet Community Circle! This is a time that all students come together in the virtual space to celebrate one another. We dance, celebrate students who are doing their BEST, play games and we will also have a special announcement about Read-A-Thon! Please join us on Zoom, using this link (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7587973597?pwd=aDFmcXFIdVJ4bmdXbmoyQ29jdE1odz09)
- Long Term Sub Positions Available: We have two open positions available for this semester, both for long term sub positions. One is a para LTS and the other is an MLE teacher LTS position. If you are interested, please reach out to Jeanna!
- Reminder to Use Safe2Tell Effectively: DPS has been seeing a rise in the number of misused and malicious reporting on our Safe2Tell safety tip lines. The Safe2Tell tip line is not a resource for general complaints and should only be used in cases of emergency. False reports are a felony, and subject to criminal penalties according to Senate Bill 21-081. If you do have concerns or wish to report something, please contact your principal.
- Asbury Dance Information – Friday, February 10th
- Registration Form – please fill this out
- Grades K- 2 3:30 – 4:30 and Grades 3-5 5:00-6:00
- Located in the Asbury Gymnasium
- Wear white to stand out at the glow party! Glow sticks will be provided.
- Pizza and juice will be available in the lunchroom
- Activities for adults will be in the auditorium
- A $5 donation is suggested to fund the Asbury Staff Fund and can be donated via Venmo @AsburyPTSO-AsburyPTSO
- Art Winter Newsletter from Ms. Werner
- Spelling Bee Information is coming soon!
- Anyone willing/able to help move a piano? A generous sub has donated a new piano to Asbury! Contact Ms. Baca in the office or Amber_Baca@dpsk12.net.
- Want 10% off your YearBook Purchase? In honor of the season of giving, Treering has an exclusive promo code for a 10% discount for all new customers for the 2022-2023 school year. Setting up your account set up takes less than a minute and there are no minimum orders or contracts required. (The fine print: Coupon code HOLIDAY10 promotion ends at 11:59 pm PST on 12/31/22. Not applicable with referral codes or other discounts.)
- Open Positions:
- 3-5 MI Para Position
- 3rd Grade 1-1 Para Position
- 2nd Grade 1-1 Para Position
Lost and Found Notice!
- Please click this link HERE to view the lost and found items. Please see Ms. Baca if you recognize anything! There is a lot of stuff in there!
DIRECT GIVE IS UPON US!
We need your support in February!
As you may know, we are kicking off the Asbury Direct Give campaign on Wednesday, February 1st! This is an annual opportunity for our Asbury community (and beyond) to give in order to supplement Asbury’s budget for 2023-24 school year.
February 1 – 10 (be on the lookout for the campaign in Deets, Facebook and Thurs Folder) Spread the word and participate!
Friday, February 10th – It’s time to get your groove on! The Dance committee will be sending a Sign Up Genius for this event. There are many fun ways to get involved!
February 10th and beyond – help us spread the word about our amazing school!
*Are you a dedicated, amazing business sponsor with additional ideas for how to support the Asbury Direct Give effort? Please reach out!
**Are you ready to give and want to know where? It’s never too early or late to give…Visit the Cheddar Up site for safe online giving or a personal check to the front office, Zelle or PayPal are accepted as well! Visit Asbury’s Donation Page for all the info! *We are not able to accept Venmo for Direct Give this year.
READ A THON IS COMING: February 4th-10th
- Get ready for another EPIC Read-A-Thon!
- Book Swap: February 1-3rd: Students can bring their gently used books and swap them for a “new” one to gear up for all the amazing reading they will do for the Read-A-Thon!
- Read-A-Thon: February 4th – 10th students will track their reading minutes on a feather and they will turn it in the following day for the chance to win a daily prize, and much more. Be on the lookout for more details!
- Want to help out & volunteer? Check out tons of opportunities here!
- Questions? Reach out to Leah Borsheim or Lizzie Mussoline at Asbury.PTSO@gmail.com
Save the date; DU Gymnastics meet vs. George Washington & Pittsburgh!
- Date Correction: Sunday, February 5th, 2023 at 1:45 pm. To purchase tickets and for more information go here.
Gymnastics Flyer for more information
Next Virtual PTSO meeting will be Tuesday, Feb. 7th
South HS Women’s Soccer Team: Date Night Fundraiser Fri. Feb. 10th 6:00-8:30 pm
After the Asbury Dance, head on over to drop the kids off for a fun night to benefit the Women’s Soccer team AND get some much needed YOU time, DATE time, the world is your oyster!
- Light snacks provided
- Movie Room
- Arts & Crafts
- Gym Time for Sports Fun
- $35 per child ages 3 and up (there is a discount for multi-children families)
- Questions? Email DenverSouthGirlsSoccer@gmail.com
PLEASE SAVE THESE NEW DATES:
Upcoming Community Night with the Rapids!
- 4/22 Rapids vs. St. Louis @ 7:30
- Tickets can be purchased here
- Click HERE to view the flyer.
- Spring Wing! Please hold May 5th for a super fun evening to gather with the community & support Asbury – standby for more details.
Upcoming Community & Dine Out Events
- Feb. 1 – Feb. 3 – Read-A-Thon Book Swap
- 2/1: DIRECT GIVE KICKS OFF!
- 2/7: VIRTUAL PTSO meeting @ 6:00
- 2/4 – 2/10 Read-A-Thon!
- 2/5 – DU Gymnastics Meet
- 2/10 – Asbury DANCE!
- K-2 3:30-4:30
- 3-5 5:00-6:00
- 2/12 – Beauty & The Beast
- 4/22 – Colorado Rapids vs. St. Louis @ 7:30 pm
- 5/5 – SPRING WING!
Asbury Mosaic Workshop with Ms. Werner
Clay Play (Winter Session) – still openings!
Lego Play Well (Winter Session) – still openings!
Rapids Game Flyer
Parents’ Night Out Information
Summer Camp Opportunity at The Waldorf School
MSU Denver Junior Roadrunners Camp
All After School Enrichment opportunities
If you are interested in Discovery link, please visit https://equity.dpsk12.org/extended-learning/discovery-link/school-year-program/
SUMMER CAMP!!!!! – Registration opens on January 24th!!!!!!
Spring break – There will be camp days on Monday, Mar 27, 2023 Tuesday, March 28, 2023, and Monday, Apr 3, 2023. Wed-Friday (29th-31st) there will NOT be a camp offering. Slavens is the closest location to Asbury,
February 21st – There will NOT be a camp offered as it is an all-staff professional development day.
February 14 – Grandfriends Day and Valentine’s Day Parties
March 15 (6-7pm) – CMAS Parent Night
March 27-31 – Spring Break
April 3 – No School for Students
April 10-28 – CMAS/CoAlt Testing Window
April 27- Dish a Story
May 5 – Spring Wing (more information to follow)
May 11-12- 5th grade at Balarat
May 19 – Field Day
May 26 – Field Day Rain date