Thursday Folders – December 3, 2020
Posted December 3, 2020
I hope you had a great holiday break.
For those of you who were unable to join us for CSC this past week, I wanted to share a little about what we heard the community is sitting with. We clearly heard that members of our community are feeling disconnected and craving connection especially given that we have just transitioned back to remote learning. Like I mentioned in our CSC meeting, it is up the upmost importance to have us as a community of parents, students and staff come together with the charge of ensuring we can return to January and reconnect as an inspired community. I have made it my goal to take action during this time and make space for us to come together so that all voices are represented as we make a return to school plan for the new year. This action will consist of creating a Return & Reconnect Committee that will consist of members from the Asbury staff, parents and students. We will meet together over the next two weeks with the goal of reconnecting as a community and setting up students so they can safely return to Asbury. If you would like to join this committee, please fill out this link (https://forms.gle/joETkeFXoCW2Jmue6) to let us know.
Dates of the Return and Reconnect Committee:
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020 from 5:00-6:00
- Monday, December 14, 2020 from 5:00-6:00
- Wednesday, December 16, from 5:00-6:00
In order to make this committee successful, we need everyone’s voices. We will leverage the input from these surveys as a committee to help influence our conversation when we meet. In order to gather as many voices as possible, we are asking for everyone to fill out a short survey. Below are links to both a student and staff/parent survey:
- ANY AND ALL COVID questions should be directed to the Nurse’s office at 720-424-9755
- Please call the Attendance line (720)424-9797 if your student will be absent from class (in person AND remote).
- If your child is in quarantine for an extended period of time (3 days or more) they may log on to the remote class supports.
- If your child is absent for less than 3 days due to travel, a minor cold, or other extenuating circumstance please reach out to your teacher for communication but remote centers are available during this time.
- No adults will be allowed past the office unless there is a student emergency. If your student is arriving late or leaving early there is a sign-in/out QR code (please bookmark in case you do not bring your phone) on the office door you can use.
- Community Evening 12/8: Steele will be hosting a virtual community evening event on December 8th from 6:00 – 7:30. A Queer Endeavor will discuss creating safe and inclusive schools for LGBTQ students. You can read more about their work here.
- Spirit Week will be 12/14-12/18
- 12/11-Asbury Spirit Day – Wear blue & yellow, Asbury swag, bring your eagle stuffed animal to remote learning, color your hair or wear blue and yellow
- 12/14-Plaid or flannel day
- 12/15-Elf Name change day/change your name on zoom (directions will be shared with your teacher)
- 12/16-Holiday Accessory Day
- 12/17-Winter hat day
- 12/18-Pajama Day
- The Asbury merch shop is back open!! Find all Asbury swag HERE!
- Would you like to see your artwork on the cover of the 2020-21 Asbury Yearbook? Look at our yearbook cover art contest flyer HERE! All submissions due by Tuesday, January 5th.
- The Scholastic Book Fair is back! While the Fair will be exclusively held online this year, we still plan on making it a fun and joyous experience for our kids. Features include:
- Asbury’s own online store, with a large selection of titles, at the right price points.
- A Virtual Fair so you and your kids can experience the magic of the school shopping experience. Browse titles by grade, meet popular authors and discover the comfort and joy of our Fair.
- Every dollar you spend will benefit our school directly (25% back in rewards!)
Save these dates and view our school’s Fair site: November 30th – December 12th. Here is the link to the Fair site. We can’t wait to “see” you at the Fair!
- Calling All Community Builders! We are looking for parents who are interested in hosting Zoom get-togethers and activities during this time of “safer-at-home”. Since in-person gatherings are not possible, we are hoping to bring our community together virtually. Let us know if you can help! Please contact Meaghan McCabe at email@example.com for more information or to sign up as a host.
- Do you have a specific skill set you would like to share? Like teaching yoga, meditation, cooking, science, or a craft?
- Are you interested in creating a community Zoom group that meets to enjoy a topic together like a book club, a knitting club, or a movie club?
- Are you a social butterfly and would like to lead a group in playing games via Zoom? Examples include Pictionary, Bingo, Scattergories, trivia, Name, Place, Animal, Thing, and Heads Up! These events could be adults only, families, or students only.
- Would you like to host a Zoom Happy Hour or Coffee Talk for other parents in your grade to give adults a chance to get to know each other?
- Do you have a background in parent education or mental health? Would you be interested in leading a Zoom call on a topic that supports our adults as they work and live with their children during this time?
- New and different ideas are also welcome!!
Here are some upcoming Zoom events:
Asbury Adult Yoga with Catherine Cole – Saturday, 12/5, 9-10am
Zoom Info: Meeting ID: 970 1715 5946 Password: yoga
3rd Grade Happy Hour/Minute to Win It – Sunday, 12/6, 7-8pm
Zoom Info: will be sent via School Deets to 3rd-grade families
Wellness Wednesday for Students with Maren Willins, LCSW
*NEW DATE* Wednesday, 12/9 3:45-4:15pm
Zoom Info: Meeting ID: 859 5531 7056 Password: Health
- PTSO meetings will be on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30pm. This is the Link for the Zoom.
- The Asbury Backpack Program Needs Your Help!
Sign Up Here to help support Asbury families with food boxes.
- Business Sponsor Are you interested or do you know someone interested in being a Business Sponsor? Now is the time to support Asbury students and staff while promoting your product or service. You’ll also receive the benefit of a tax write off. Please contact Andrea Cocking or Kelly Smith to get signed up and get your banner up!
- We have a new Advocacy Page on the Asbury website where you can find information about how to get involved and make your voice heard! Check it out HERE!
12/10 – Dine out for Asbury at Papa John’s (ALL DAY)
12/11- Asbury Spirit Day (Ideas-wear your Asbury swag, color your hair blue or yellow, bring your eagle stuffy to remote learning or wear blue & yellow).
12/14-12/18 -Winter Spirit Week-Click Here
Technology Resources from Mrs. Ravel (updated)
Logging in to a Chromebook
Parent Guide to Chromebooks
Seesaw for Parents
Dine Out at Papa John’s 12/10
Yearbook Cover Art Contest
Scholastic Book Fair is Open!