Thursday Folders – December 18
Posted December 18, 2020
Happy Holidays Asbury Community! I hope you take this holiday season to rest, recover and rejuvenate so that we can come back next semester ready to usher in the new year- I, for one, can’t wait to bring in (and bring on) 2021. With this new year will come some changes and despite all we have gone through in 2020, I am confident that we will continue to rise up together- as a community.
With that in mind, the second semester will start on Tuesday, January 5th. The week of January 5th-January 8th will be a remote learning week– no students will be in the building that week. DPS has expressed that they would like all K-5 students to start in-person learning on January 11 (and students who have elected to remain on-line, will still continue with online learning)- so that is what we are planning for at Asbury! To ensure you all feel supported, we will host a Town Hall on Wednesday, January 6 from 5:30-6:30 to ensure that all your questions are answered about our in-person return.
- ANY AND ALL COVID questions should be directed to the Nurse’s office at 720-424-9755
- January 4-8 School Schedule
- January 4- No Students: Teacher Release Day
- January 5-7- Live Remote Learning Days
- January 8- Asynchronous Remote Learning Day
- Town Hall: Please join Mrs. Doung for this town hall to get any questions that you have answered about returning to school. This town hall will take place on January 6 from 5:3-6:30. Please join this Zoom link
- Return and Reconnect Committee:
- If you are interested in joining the Return and Reconnect Committee, please sign up here.
- Please remind students that we would like for them to sign up for this committee as well. Please have them sign up here.
- Please call the Attendance line (720)424-9797 if your student will be absent from class (in person AND remote).
- If your child is in quarantine for an extended period of time (3 days or more) they may log on to the remote class supports.
- If your child is absent for less than 3 days due to travel, a minor cold, or other extenuating circumstance please reach out to your teacher for communication but remote centers are available during this time.
- No adults will be allowed past the office unless there is a student emergency. If your student is arriving late or leaving early there is a sign-in/out QR code (please bookmark in case you do not bring your phone) on the office door you can use.
- Kindergarten school tours will begin in January. We will be hosting virtual tours for families that are interested. Each Friday in January we will host a Q&A for all prospective students and families. Reach out to Maggie with any questions. Information will be shared on the Asbury’s Website under the Enrollment/School Tours page.
- 5th Grade Families: Merrill Middle School is hosting ongoing virtual visits. Please find information here if you are interested in participating!
- Would you like to see your artwork on the cover of the 2020-21 Asbury Yearbook? Look at our yearbook cover art contest flyer HERE! All submissions due by Tuesday, January 5th.
- Food and Nutrition Services will be closed from December 21 – January 1 and not serving any school meals at our curbside locations. We have partnered with Revolution Foods, who will distribute 7-day meal boxes on December 22 and December 29 at schools (10) across the District. Please see the attached flyer for details.
- The Asbury Direct Give Campaign will take place from February 22nd – March 6th.
- Save the Date for the upcoming “A Magical Evening With Asbury” Virtual Fundraiser taking place on Saturday, 3/6/21 from 5pm-6:30pm. It will be a family-friendly event and we welcome you to share the attached flyer with family, friends, neighbors and alumni! We are excited to come together as a community! Details to follow.
- Calling All Community Builders! We are looking for parents who are interested in hosting Zoom get-togethers and activities during this time of “safer-at-home”. Since in-person gatherings are not possible, we are hoping to bring our community together virtually. Let us know if you can help! Please contact Meaghan McCabe at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up as a host.
- Do you have a specific skill set you would like to share? Like teaching yoga, meditation, cooking, science, or a craft?
- Are you interested in creating a community Zoom group that meets to enjoy a topic together like a book club, a knitting club, or a movie club?
- Are you a social butterfly and would like to lead a group in playing games via Zoom? Examples include Pictionary, Bingo, Scattergories, trivia, Name, Place, Animal, Thing, and Heads Up! These events could be adults only, families, or students only.
- Would you like to host a Zoom Happy Hour or Coffee Talk for other parents in your grade to give adults a chance to get to know each other?
- Do you have a background in parent education or mental health? Would you be interested in leading a Zoom call on a topic that supports our adults as they work and live with their children during this time?
- New and different ideas are also welcome!
- PTSO meetings will be on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30pm. Our next meeting will take place on Tuesday – January 5, 2021! This is the Link for the Zoom.
- The Asbury Backpack Program Needs Your Help!
Sign Up Here to help support Asbury families with food boxes.
- Business Sponsor Are you interested or do you know someone interested in being a Business Sponsor? Now is the time to support Asbury students and staff while promoting your product or service. You’ll also receive the benefit of a tax write off. Please contact Andrea Cocking or Kelly Smith to get signed up and get your banner up!
- We have a new Advocacy Page on the Asbury website where you can find information about how to get involved and make your voice heard! Check it out HERE!
- 2/22/21 – 3/6/21 – Direct Give Campaign
- 3/6/21 – A Magical Evening with Asbury Virtual Event
Technology Resources from Mrs. Ravel (updated)
Logging in to a Chromebook
Parent Guide to Chromebooks
Seesaw for Parents
A Magical Evening with Asbury
Yearbook Cover Art Contest
Food Distribution from Revolution