Thursday Folders, December 10, 2020
Posted December 11, 2020
We had our first Reconnect and Return Committee meeting this week. One thing we did was watch this video, The Dumpster Fire and The Garden. This endearing video is a story about a girl, a dumpster fire, and a garden. The story is a good reminder of where we should put our focus and how we can refocus on all the goodness in the world. We, as a committee, came together to focus on tending to our garden and focusing on reconnecting as an Asbury community. As we move forward as a committee, we will continue with the goals of reconnecting. We also begin to focus on how we successfully return in quarter 3.
Click here for a video message from me, Jeanna.
In that video, I mentioned a decision-making process and wanted to share this here:
|Decision Making Responsibility
||District Decisions (in conjunction with health and safety officials)
- Whether my own children will be in person or remote learners
- If the schools are in-person or remote
- The model that we follow (i.e. if only K-2 is in school, if we follow a hybrid schedule)
- If a school can have learning centers
- Staff work accommodations (and if they are in person or remote)
- School Leadership Team identifies priorities to plan for each quarter
- Determines the scheduling and roll-out of district plan, including staffing scenario
- Communication and implementation plan
- Get and implement feedback
- ANY AND ALL COVID questions should be directed to the Nurse’s office at 720-424-9755
- Return and Reconnect Committee:
- If you are interested in joining the Return and Reconnect Committee, please sign up here.
- Please remind students that we would like for them to sign up for this committee as well. Please have them sign up here.
- Ongoing Committee Meeting Dates:
- Monday, December 14, 2020 from 5:00-6:00
- Wednesday, December 16, from 5:00-6:00
- Please call the Attendance line (720)424-9797 if your student will be absent from class (in person AND remote).
- If your child is in quarantine for an extended period of time (3 days or more) they may log on to the remote class supports.
- If your child is absent for less than 3 days due to travel, a minor cold, or other extenuating circumstance please reach out to your teacher for communication but remote centers are available during this time.
- No adults will be allowed past the office unless there is a student emergency. If your student is arriving late or leaving early there is a sign-in/out QR code (please bookmark in case you do not bring your phone) on the office door you can use.
- Spirit Week will be 12/14-12/18
- 12/11-Asbury Spirit Day – Wear blue & yellow, Asbury swag, bring your eagle stuffed animal to remote learning, color your hair or wear blue and yellow
- 12/14-Plaid or flannel day
- 12/15-Elf Name change day/change your name on zoom (directions will be shared with your teacher)
- 12/16-Holiday Accessory Day
- 12/17-Winter hat day
- 12/18-Pajama Day
- 5th Grade Families: Merrill Middle School is hosting ongoing virtual visits. Please find information here if you are interested in participating!
- The Asbury merch shop is back open!! Find all Asbury swag HERE!
- Would you like to see your artwork on the cover of the 2020-21 Asbury Yearbook? Look at our yearbook cover art contest flyer HERE! All submissions due by Tuesday, January 5th.
- The Scholastic Book Fair is back! While the Fair will be exclusively held online this year, we still plan on making it a fun and joyous experience for our kids. Features include:
- Asbury’s own online store, with a large selection of titles, at the right price points.
- A Virtual Fair so you and your kids can experience the magic of the school shopping experience. Browse titles by grade, meet popular authors and discover the comfort and joy of our Fair.
- Every dollar you spend will benefit our school directly (25% back in rewards!)
Save these dates and view our school’s Fair site: November 30th – December 12th. Here is the link to the Fair site. We can’t wait to “see” you at the Fair!
- Calling All Community Builders! We are looking for parents who are interested in hosting Zoom get-togethers and activities during this time of “safer-at-home”. Since in-person gatherings are not possible, we are hoping to bring our community together virtually. Let us know if you can help! Please contact Meaghan McCabe at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up as a host.
- Do you have a specific skill set you would like to share? Like teaching yoga, meditation, cooking, science, or a craft?
- Are you interested in creating a community Zoom group that meets to enjoy a topic together like a book club, a knitting club, or a movie club?
- Are you a social butterfly and would like to lead a group in playing games via Zoom? Examples include Pictionary, Bingo, Scattergories, trivia, Name, Place, Animal, Thing, and Heads Up! These events could be adults only, families, or students only.
- Would you like to host a Zoom Happy Hour or Coffee Talk for other parents in your grade to give adults a chance to get to know each other?
- Do you have a background in parent education or mental health? Would you be interested in leading a Zoom call on a topic that supports our adults as they work and live with their children during this time?
- New and different ideas are also welcome!!
Here are some upcoming Zoom events:
Asbury Holiday Sing
TUESDAY, 12/15 6:00-7:00 pm. Join us as we recreate our traditional holiday sing via Zoom with Mrs. B! Bring your hot cocoa and we will have lyrics to some fun holiday songs!
Zoom LINK Meeting ID: 626 851 0199 Passcode: Eagles
- PTSO meetings will be on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30pm. This is the Link for the Zoom.
- The Asbury Backpack Program Needs Your Help!
Sign Up Here to help support Asbury families with food boxes.
- Business Sponsor Are you interested or do you know someone interested in being a Business Sponsor? Now is the time to support Asbury students and staff while promoting your product or service. You’ll also receive the benefit of a tax write off. Please contact Andrea Cocking or Kelly Smith to get signed up and get your banner up!
- We have a new Advocacy Page on the Asbury website where you can find information about how to get involved and make your voice heard! Check it out HERE!
12/11- Asbury Spirit Day (Ideas-wear your Asbury swag, color your hair blue or yellow, bring your eagle stuffy to remote learning or wear blue & yellow).
12/14-12/18 -Winter Spirit Week-Click Here
Technology Resources from Mrs. Ravel (updated)
Logging in to a Chromebook
Parent Guide to Chromebooks
Seesaw for Parents
Yearbook Cover Art Contest
Scholastic Book Fair is Open!
DPS Food Distribution-English
DPS Food Distribution-Spanish