Thursday Folders April 22nd, 2021
Posted: Apr 27, 2021
It has been so exciting to see how many of you all are donating to our Soles 4 Souls shoe drive! Over the last week, we have been collecting so many shoes! Student council has gone above and beyond supporting the collection and donation processes- keep it up, everyone!
The student council has started a canned food drive- so please, if you are able to donate non-perishable items for this food drive, please do so! I just love how we are taking the time to pay it forward here at Asbury!
I am also so excited for our Read-A-Thon! All next week we are promoting reading- we have so many fun activities planned including scheduling time each day for students to Drop Everything and Read (D.E.A.R.)! At the end of the Read-A-Thon, the three students with the highest minutes will get to give me a pie a face! Reading for Read-A-Thon starts this weekend, be ready to turn in your first feather on Monday, April 26th. See the attached family letter for more information HERE. The reading feather sheet will go home with students on Friday, April 23rd. Please see the sign-up genius below if you are interested in volunteering to help. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0f4dadad2da5f94-readathon2.
- This year we have 4 openings on our CSC. 1 of these openings will be held for a PTSO member. We meet every first Tuesday of every month and will have a few extra meetings during the month of February through April. We ask that CSC members participate in the meetings and commit to being a member for two years, or one year where it applies. If you are interested in your name being placed on the ballot for one of the parent representative openings, please fill out the nomination form HERE by Friday, April 23rd. If you would like more information concerning the CSC before making a decision, please feel free to contact Principal Jeanna Doung at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak with a current CSC representative. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Cell phones – If students are bringing their cell phones to school, the phone should be checked into the office every morning.
- Online Registration for 2021-2022 – Registration Flyer
- Current DPS families – save time during fall registration by updating your student’s information online! By completing this process using your Parent Portal account, you can avoid paper forms and save time at the school during the fall return. There are two windows during which current students can register online for 2021-22:
- The “Early Bird” window, April 26-May 21
- Current year, July 26-late August
- To register online, primary legal guardians of current DPS students must have an active DPS Parent Portal account. Visit myportal.dpsk12.org to sign up, or to check that your account is active and ready.
- For more information on how to complete online registration, contact the front office or visit schoolchoice.dpsk12.org.
**New Asbury families — you too can register online! Contact our front office for more information.**
- Summer Learning Opportunities: Here is a Summer Program Toolkit guide with ready-made resources to understand what summer learning opportunities are available. The programs listed in this toolkit are free or may be offered at reduced rates, and provide students with opportunities to grow and thrive this summer.
- It’s time to order your 20-21 yearbook! Here is the Yearbook Order Form. The deadline to order has been extended until next Friday, April 30th. They are $15 each and you can pay by check to the office made out to Asbury PTSO or Venmo @AsburyPTSO-AsburyPTSO. All the information is in the form.
- Reading for Read-A-Thon starts this weekend, be ready to turn in your first feather on Monday, April 26th. See the attached family letter for more information HERE. The reading feather sheet will go home with students on Friday, April 23rd. Please see the sign-up genius below if you are interested in volunteering to help. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0f4dadad2da5f94-readathon2.
- Asbury’s Soles4Souls shoe drive is going strong! Bring in your old shoes to help the environment!
- Please have your students bring in your old shoes and drop them off in the boxes that are placed around the inside of school.
- This drive will go through the end of April.
- Please tie the shoes together with the laces or rubber band them together if you can.
- Read-A-Thon is coming! Our annual book swap will take place April 21-23 and Read-A-Thon will officially begin on April 26th. More information to follow. Please see the sign-up genius below if you are interested in volunteering to help. Students can bring in books that they would like to swap starting on Monday 4/19. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0f4dadad2da5f94-readathon2.
- Asbury’s Annual Food Drive will begin next week April 19th-30th. We are collecting non-perishable food items to help our Asbury families in need by restocking the Hands Up for Children Program. See this flyer for details.
ASBURY’S EDUKIT WEBSITE IS NOW OPEN! ORDER BY JUNE 10, 2021 FOR BEST PRICING AND FREE SHIPPING. www.edukitinc.com
Asbury Elementary offers the EduKit program as a convenient option for busy families to order school supplies for the upcoming school year. EduKits include the supplies approved by your school. Your student’s order will be ready at the school before the first day.
Please consider making a donation to help support deserving students in our school community. If you would like to donate a complete kit, please use “Donate Kit” as the first and last name.
Extended ordering is available from June 11 – August 04 for an additional fee and will be delivered to your home shortly before school begins.
- The Asbury Talent Show will be Wednesday, May 12th at 7 pm! See this flyer for details about how to enter, changes for this year, and other important information.
- Message from Art Teacher, Mrs. Werner
- Hello Kindergarten families: Our Asbury artists will begin to experience and learn about oil pastels and collage. Each student will be provided a small bag of oil pastels and collage papers.
- ***Remote families will be able to pick up these supply bags in the main office starting Monday, April 26th -Friday, April 30th. We will use these materials starting the first week of May.
- 1st grade: Hello, first-grade families. I wanted to let you know that the artists will be working on a collage project starting the first week of May. Individual supply bags have been made for each student and will be passed out in class.
- ***Remote learners can pick up their supply bags starting Monday, April 26th, and thru April 30th.
- 2nd-5th Grade: Hello families!
- Asbury artists are about to begin an EPIC ART CHALLENGE. Each student will be given a mystery bag full of random materials. From this bag, they will problem-solve, express, create, and assemble. There will be prizes for the most creative, most colorful, most beautiful, and who used all the materials from the bag. Each student will receive a mystery supply bag in class. ***Remote learners will have the opportunity to pick up mystery bags starting Monday, April 26th, through Friday, April 30th. We will begin this challenge starting the first week of May.
- Summer Camp registration is now open! More information and where to sign up HERE. Check out the flyers below.
- Are you looking for a fun, inclusive, safe space to send your student? Look no further, send them to Discovery Link!!! Currently, Discovery Link is open and accepting enrollment for both the AM/PM programs. This is an excellent opportunity for students to learn, socialize with friends, come to a safe, inclusive environment, and have fun.
- If you have any questions, please reach out to Leah Martinez @email@example.com or (720)424-9774
- Discovery Link Registration for the 2021-22 school year will open April 12 at 6:00 a.m. At this time, families will only select the site where their child(ren) will attend next year. Once approved, families will be given access to the calendar, and will select days for August starting on July 1st.
Summer Camp Information – 2021
- 5th Grader Cerey Carter is selling no-sew fleece blankets for her 5th-grade business project and $5-$10 of every purchase is going to support local animal shelters/rescues. Kitten and puppy season is upon us and the rescues need donations, fosters, and adopters so please help out! Please see our flyer below for information.
- **NEW** PTSO Board Elections We have some great news! Amy Fitzgerald (currently one of the co-leaders of our backpack program) has generously offered to step up and run for President! HOWEVER, she would LOVE a Co-President to join her in leading the PTSO. It is a big job, and the work is definitely more fun with a friend! Please consider running as a Co-President – we need you! No prior experience is required, just a desire to be involved in helping the Asbury community thrive. See the flyer below for position descriptions and duties. Please email Asbury.PTSO@gmail.com or call Kristi Leech (303) 548-1289 to discuss the different roles or for any further questions.
- Help wanted! The Asbury Backpack Program provides families in our community with a backpack of nutritious food every Thursday. If you’d like to receive a backpack and are not already a part of the program please sign up by clicking on one of the links below:
Receive a Backpack Recibir una mochilia de comida
The Backpack program is run by volunteers. If you would like to help by filling and delivering backpacks Sign Up HERE.
If you would like to provide a monetary donation to support families in our community you can send your donation via Venmo to @AsburyPTSO (in the comments put a note that it’s for the backpack program).
If you have questions please contact the co-Chairs of the program:
Amy Fitzgerald firstname.lastname@example.org
Courtney Cauthon email@example.com
John Bradley firstname.lastname@example.org
- PTSO meetings will be on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:00 pm. Our next meeting is May 4th.
- 4/26 /21 – 4/30/21 – Read-A-Thon
- 5/3/21 – Dine Out event with Chipotle
- 5/12/21 – Asbury Talent Show
- 5/13/21 – Dine Out event with Papa John’s
Technology Resources from Mrs. Ravel (updated
Logging in to a Chromebook
Parent Guide to Chromebooks
Seesaw for Parents
Important Information from Previous Thursday Folders