Asbury Thursday Folders – February 8, 2024
Posted February 9, 2024
It is February and with February comes the celebration of Black History Month! As a school that is all about community, we take special note of this. As a school, we value diversity, we believe Black History and the diverse histories, experiences, stories and voices of Black people should be recognized, honored, and uplifted every day. We also value the fundamental opportunity that Black History Month provides us to elevate, lift up, and affirm the rich history and many contributions of the Black community in all of our lives. As we celebrate throughout the month of February, we must also acknowledge there is deep and challenging work ahead of us to shift our inherently racist structures.
As individuals, we should take every opportunity to learn about our fellow man/woman. Education is the key that will move us forward in the right direction and hopefully right all the wrongs in the world. Malcolm X hit the mark when he said, “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” Let us recognize, learn, and celebrate this month and beyond in what can bring us closer as a family. Let us chase the dream together.
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” — Harriet Tubman
What’s top of Mind?
Food Drive Update From Student Council
- Thank you to all the Asbury families for your generous donations to our food drive. We collected over 1,500 food items to support families in our Asbury community! A big congratulations to Ms. Nelson’s kindergarten class who collected 325 food items and won the donut party! To show our gratitude to all the students, each class will receive a certificate and a small token of our appreciation. Go Eagles!
CSC and PTSO Meetings this Month
- We have a special CSC meeting scheduled for today (Thursday, 2/8) from 4:00-5:00. This will be an in-person meeting in the library and we will be reviewing the final budget decisions and making recommendations.
- We have two positions posted:
- 1 on 1 Para Position: We have a 1-1 paraprofessional position for a 3rd grade student in our Special Education program. If you are interested or know of anyone who is interested, please contact Jeanna Doung!
- 3rd Grade Math Long Term Substitute Position: We are thrilled to announce that Ms. McCoy will be going on maternity leave from April through October! With that, we have an open long term substitute position for 3rd grade literacy. If you are interested or know of someone who is interested, please reach out to Jeanna Doung!
- 4th grade Math Long Term Substitute Position: Due to unforeseen circumstances, our current amazing fourth grade sub, Ms. Munio, is needing to step down starting 2/15. We are looking for a LTS for math from 2/15-3/22. If you are interested or anyone else you know would be interested, please reach out.
Mental Health Minute
The middle of the year window for the BESS has closed. We are excited to share the results with you in the coming weeks. Your participation and feedback in this important process is appreciated!
What’s Still Relevant?
Asbury Talent Show Date Announcement
The much acclaimed Asbury Talent Show will be held on Thursday, March, 21, 2024. Please keep your eyes out for more specific communication from Mrs Batesmith, but mark your calendars now!
Summer Connections 2024 is returning as a free five-week program from June 17 to July 19. DPS students at eligible schools entering first through fifth grade are invited to participate in this full-day program. Designed for student readiness, Summer Connections introduces students to next year’s curriculum with a special focus on STEM subjects. Students will also enjoy a variety of activities including Inventor’s Week, the Lego challenge, career exploration and computer science. Plus, there’s an exciting field trip in store! Registration for families begins mid-February. Check out the Summer Connections website for more information and updates.
Check this out!
Check out the February Edition of the Asbury Era Newspaper
Calendar Reminder: Grandfriends Day
- Your students cordially invite you to Asbury’s Second Annual Grandfriends’ Day!
- February 14th, 2024
- Kindergarten – Second Grade – 7:40 am-9:10 am
- Third Grade – Fifth Grade- 9:10am-10:40am
- Please fill out this form regarding your participation in Grandfriends’ Day by February 7th. If you have any questions, please email Mrs Batesmith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional Information:
- Who should I invite to be my grandfriend?
- Any adult who is important to you. This can be a grandparent or other relative, a neighbor, a friend’s parent, or any adult you are close to and would like to share your school activities.
- What will we do during this time?
- You and your grandfriend will be participating in activities in and around your classroom. There will be limited walking to accommodate needs.
- PLEASE RSVP by Wednesday, February 7th.
Asbury Spelling Bee
This will take place on Friday, March 1st 3p-5p in the auditorium. If you have any questions, please reach out to Mr. Howard or Mrs. Magoffin.
Mark Your Calendars: SchoolChoice Round 1 Dates
- SchoolChoice Round 1 for the 2024-25 school year opened on Jan. 11, 2024 and closes on Feb. 12, 2024. If you know of any kindergarten families or new families, they can make Asbury their home schools!
- The DPS SchoolChoice application and waitlist site has changed. Families interested in coming to Asbury can apply here. Families with existing Parent Portal accounts can log in using their username and password and families who do not have Parent Portal accounts will set up a new account.
What’s new from PTSO?
- Asbury is a neighborhood gem, and we want to support the things that make it so special!
- All this month we’ll be sharing information, games, and opportunities to support this school, stay tuned and get involved!
- Donate – Direct Give Link from the Asbury Website
Grand Friends Day volunteering
- This super special event is next week, and we could use some help and donations!
- See this Sign Up Genius to see if you can help
- Read a thon is a super fun, week long celebration of reading, and we need YOUR help!
- Take a look at this Sign Up Genius and sign up for a slot that looks good to you!
DU Gymnastics Community Ticketing!
- This is another great opportunity to see some of the greatest college athletes in action with your friends in the Asbury community!
- Sunday, February 11, 2024; 1:45 pm.
- Tickets are now on sale here. A portion of proceeds comes back to Asbury!
- Information Flyer
What’s going on with Enrichments?
Little Medical School STEM Enrichment (only 12 spots available!)
Please visit the Asbury Website for more information and details about enrichments offered during this session: Asbury Enrichments Schedule
Future Grant Beacon MS Families (English)
Future Grant Beacon MS Families (Spanish)
Summer in the City Discovery Link Camp Flyer
Asbury DU Gymnastic Meet Flyer – 2/11
DU Upcoming Youth Programs
Little Medical School STEM Enrichment
2/11 – (Sun) – DU Gymnastics Meet
2/14 – Grandfriends Day
2/16 – DPS Release Day- No Students
3/1 – Spelling Bee – details coming soon!
3/2-3/8 – Read-a-Thon
3/13 – CMAS Online Parent Information Night (6-7 pm)
3/21 – Talent Show
3/22 – Asbury Release Day- No Students
4/13 (Sat) – DU Men’s Lacrosse Game (tickets on sale soon)
4/19 – DPS Release Day-No Students
4/26 – Rockies STEM Day – 5th Grade
5/6 (Mon) – Skate City *NEW DATE*
5/10 – Asbury Release Day- No Students
5/17 – Field Day
5/24 – Field Day Rain Date
6/4 – 5th Grade Continuation