Asbury Thursday Folders – February 1, 2024
Posted February 1, 2024
I hope everyone is staying healthy out there- we have seen a lot of students going home or staying home with illnesses – there is certainly something going around! The main symptoms of this illness have included fever, stomachache, and sore throat.
So, how sick is too sick? There are four main reasons to keep children and adults at home:
- The child or staff is at risk of infecting others with COVID-19 or another contagious illness, either because of symptoms or recent close contact.
- The child or staff member does not feel well enough to take part in usual activities. For example, a child or staff member is overly tired, fussy or will not stop crying.
- A child needs more care than teachers and staff can give while still caring for the other children.
- The child or staff member has symptoms or an illness that is listed below in the **CDC guidance flyer**, and staying home is required. Please keep your students home if they have a fever of 100.4℉ or greater. Students can return when they have been fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
For more information, please check out this CDC guidance here in English or Spanish
Most importantly, take care of yourself and stay well this season!
What’s top of Mind?
Asbury Talent Show Date Announcement
The much acclaimed Asbury Talent Show will be held on Thursday, March, 21, 2024. Please keep your eyes out for more specific communication from Mrs Batesmith, but mark your calendars now!
Food Drive Update From Student Council
Thank you Asbury families for your generous donations towards our food drive. In four days we have surpassed our goal of 500 items and have collected over 1,000! This food will serve many families within our Asbury community. One more day to go! The class with the most food donated will win a pizza party! Thank you for your support! Go Eagles!
Free Kid’s Sundae Opportunity from Andy’s Frozen Custard
Andy’s Frozen Custard 3505 River Point Pkwy, Sheridan, CO 80110 Sent our students a coloring sheet that will be sent home with your student today or tomorrow. If they do their best creative coloring and take it to Andy’s Frozen Custard they will give our eagles a free kid’s sundae.
Check this out!
Check out the February Edition of the Asbury Era Newspaper
CSC and PTSO Meetings this Month
- We have CSC and PTSO on 2/6. These will be virtually hosted events (see the join link below). CSC will start at 5:00 and PTSO will start at 6:00. Please join if you are able!
Summer Connections 2024 is returning as a free five-week program from June 17 to July 19. DPS students at eligible schools entering first through fifth grade are invited to participate in this full-day program. Designed for student readiness, Summer Connections introduces students to next year’s curriculum with a special focus on STEM subjects. Students will also enjoy a variety of activities including Inventor’s Week, the Lego challenge, career exploration and computer science. Plus, there’s an exciting field trip in store! Registration for families begins mid-February. Check out the Summer Connections website for more information and updates.
- We have two new positions posted:
- 1 on 1 Para Position: We have a 1-1 paraprofessional position for a 3rd grade student in our Special Education program. If you are interested or know of anyone who is interested, please contact Jeanna Doung!
- 3rd Grade Math Long Term Substitute Position: We are thrilled to announce that Ms. McCoy will be going on maternity leave from April through October! With that, we have an open long term substitute position for 3rd grade literacy. If you are interested or know of someone who is interested, please reach out to Jeanna Doung!
- 4th grade Math Long Term Substitute Position: Due to unforeseen circumstances, our current amazing fourth grade sub, Ms. Munio, is needing to step down starting 2/15. We are looking for a LTS for math from 2/15-3/22. If you are interested or anyone else you know would be interested, please reach out.
Mental Health Minute
The BESS middle of year deadline is tomorrow!!
Only 33% of students have a completed parent rating. As a reminder, the parent rating window for Winter closes TOMORROW, February 2nd. The form can be completed in less than 5 minutes at tinyurl.com/bessparent2324.
What’s Still Relevant?
Calendar Reminder: Grandfriends Day
- Your students cordially invite you to Asbury’s Second Annual Grandfriends’ Day!
- February 14th, 2024
- Kindergarten – Second Grade – 7:40 am-9:10 am
- Third Grade – Fifth Grade- 9:10am-10:40am
- Please fill out this form regarding your participation in Grandfriends’ Day by February 7th. If you have any questions, please email Mrs Batesmith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional Information:
- Who should I invite to be my grandfriend?
- Any adult who is important to you. This can be a grandparent or other relative, a neighbor, a friend’s parent, or any adult you are close to and would like to share your school activities.
- What will we do during this time?
- You and your grandfriend will be participating in activities in and around your classroom. There will be limited walking to accommodate needs.
- PLEASE RSVP by Wednesday, February 7th.
Asbury Spelling Bee
This will take place on Friday, March 1st 3p-5p in the auditorium. If you have any questions, please reach out to Mr. Howard or Mrs. Magoffin.
Get Notified about Snow Days and Delays
To be notified of delayed starts and snow days before heading out the door, follow this guide to make sure your phone number is listed correctly in Infor. We will send a text message to the phone number you have listed in Infor, and an email to your DPS email address in case of a delayed start or snow day.
Previously opted out of text messages? Text Y or Yes to 67587 to receive text messages again. If you would like to opt-out, reply to a district text with N, No, or Stop.
You can also check dpsk12.org and district social media channels (Facebook, X and Instagram) for information about delays and closures.
Mark Your Calendars: SchoolChoice Round 1 Dates
- SchoolChoice Round 1 for the 2024-25 school year opened on Jan. 11, 2024 and closes on Feb. 12, 2024. If you know of any kindergarten families or new families, they can make Asbury their home schools!
- The DPS SchoolChoice application and waitlist site has changed. Families interested in coming to Asbury can apply here. Families with existing Parent Portal accounts can log in using their username and password and families who do not have Parent Portal accounts will set up a new account.
What’s new from PTSO?
Direct Give begins TODAY! Leap Year, Leap Forward: Investing in Our Students, Building a Stronger Tomorrow
- It was so fun to see so many of you at the kickoff this morning!
- There will be many exciting opportunities to learn more about all the WONDERFUL things going on at Asbury and to provide support for the full 29 days of this month, stay tuned!
- Remember that strong neighborhood schools benefit more than just the families at that school – share the opportunities to give with your friends, neighbors, and relatives!
- Donate – Direct Give Link from the Asbury Website
Sexy Pizza Dineout!
- Come to the PTSO meeting AND serve delicious pizza dinner to your family on Tuesday, February 6!
- At the South Pearl/Iowa location, 15% of ALL DAY sales (including gift cards and merch) will be donated to Asbury!
Skate City Date Change
- Due to scheduling conflicts, the new Spring Skate City date is Monday, May 6.
Read A Thon!
- Asbury Eagles love to read! Get your reading list ready, set aside your extra books for the Book Exchange (February 27-29 at lunch recess), and prepare to READ!
- The week of reading is: March 2-8. Watch for more information to come!
DU Gymnastics Community Ticketing!
- This is another great opportunity to see some of the greatest college athletes in action with your friends in the Asbury community!
- Sunday, February 11, 2024; 1:45 pm.
- Tickets are now on sale here. A portion of proceeds comes back to Asbury!
- Information Flyer
What’s going on with Enrichments?
NEW: Little Medical School STEM Enrichment (only 12 spots available!)
Please visit the Asbury Website for more information and details about enrichments offered during this session: Asbury Enrichments Schedule
NEW: Date Night Fundraiser for South Girls’ Soccer – Tomorrow! Friday, 2/2
NEW: Future Grant Beacon MS Families (English)
NEW: Future Grant Beacon MS Families (Spanish)
Summer in the City Discovery Link Camp Flyer
Asbury DU Gymnastic Meet Flyer – 2/11
DU Upcoming Youth Programs
NEW: Little Medical School STEM Enrichment (only 12 spots available!)
Glass Fusion Workshop w/ Ms. Werner – FLYER and SIGN UP LINK – Wed, 2/7 (2-5th)
2/6/24 – (Tuesday) February PTSO meeting Virtual
2/6/24 – Sexy Pizza South Pearl Dine Out (more details to come)
2/11/24 – (Sun) – DU Gymnastics Meet
2/14 – Grandfriends Day
2/16 – DPS Release Day- No Students
3/1 – Spelling Bee – details coming soon!
3/2-8 – Read-a-Thon
3/13 – CMAS Online Parent Information Night (6-7 pm)
3/21 – Talent Show
3/22 – Asbury Release Day- No Students
4/13/24 (Sat) – DU Men’s Lacrosse Game (tickets on sale soon)
4/19 – DPS Release Day-No Students
4/26 – Rockies STEM Day – 5th Grade
5/6 (Monday) – Skate City *NEW DATE*
5/10 – Asbury Release Day- No Students
5/17 – Field Day