Thursday, February 11, 2021
Asbury teachers are excited to have both this Friday and next Tuesday to come together and engage in professional learning and planning. We take this time to learn, reflect and plan to ensure students are receiving the best instruction possible. Over the course of this year, we, as a staff, have engaged in equity-focused learning with Dr. Franita Ware! During our time with Dr. Ware, we have reflected and learned so much about how important radical self-care and disrupting racial bias is on our journey to becoming warm demander teachers. You might be asking- what is a warm demander teacher? “Warm demander” teachers expect great things from their students, convince them of their own brilliance, and help them reach their potential. If you would like to hear more about this, feel free to reach out to me or anyone other teachers!
With equity at the forefront, I also wanted to take a moment to share out an amazing collection of online texts on Sora. These texts were curated by the Know Justice Know Peace Resolution created by 4 DMLK students. The titles selected illuminate themes of anti-racism, self-confidence, youth activism and Black joy. Check the titles out here.
- Just a reminder that school streets are “No Idling” zones.
- Reminder: Students do not have school Friday, February 12, Monday, February 15 or Tuesday, February 16.
- Are you looking for a fun, inclusive, safe space to send your student? Look no further, send them to Discovery Link!!! Currently, Discovery Link is open and accepting enrollment for both the AM/PM programs. This is an excellent opportunity for students to learn, socialize with friends, come to a safe, inclusive environment, and have fun.
- Discovery Link will be holding a Virtual snack this Thursday, February 11th from 3:45 pm – 4:00 pm via google meets. Ms. Ravel has also linked this in SeeSaw.
- The link : https://meet.google.com/lookup/cja65h3u54.
- If you have any questions, please reach out to Leah Martinez @firstname.lastname@example.org or (720)424-9774
- CMAS Information for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade families
- Please carefully read the following CMAS Information Letter – English and CMAS Information Letter – Spanish. We are working on planning and need to know the numbers of students who are testing. Please note that there will NOT be a remote testing option for students. If your student is currently remote, you will have to opt them out in Parent Portal if you do not wish to have them come in and test in-person. Regardless of in-person or remote status of your student, as a parent, you have the right to opt out your child from CMAS testing. This will not harm Asbury around funding or status this year.
- We need all 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade families to fill out this Google Form to let us know of your plan for testing or opting out of CMAS testing. Please fill this out by Friday, February 19th.
- If you have any questions, please email Amy_Ravel@dpsk12.org, Thank you so much for your support with all of this.
- PTSO Board Elections! are coming up in May and we have 4 open positions! President, Vice President, Treasurer and Parliamentarian are all available. Please consider running-we need you! No prior experience is required, just a desire to be involved in helping the Asbury community thrive! See the flyer below for position descriptions and duties. Please email Asbury.PTSO@gmail.com or call Kristi Leech (303) 548-1289 to discuss the different roles or for any further questions.
- The invitation for “A Magical Evening at Asbury” is here! See the attached flyer! Registration for the event will begin on 2/22/21. “A Magical Evening at Asbury” is a family-friendly virtual fundraiser that will include a magic show, comedic and music performances and lots more! Mark the date on your calendar!
- PTSO Needs You!! Do you have access to a mountain house that would be perfect for Asbury’s Direct Give Silent Auction? We are looking to auction off 2-7 night mountain home stays, so the Asbury community can have opportunities to have safe Covid vacations while raising money for our school. If you are interested in donating your place, please contact Meaghan McCabe @ email@example.com. Thank you!!!
In the past, our buy a share events (aka “experiences”) that were sold at the Asbury auctions were great successes! Who wouldn’t want to socialize, get to know other community members better, and have a great time! Well, we can still do it, albeit following Covid regulations. We are looking for families to host virtual get togethers for our buy a share events for the Asbury Direct Give campaign! You can host a game night, a murder mystery night, a wine tasting event, and more! The ideas are endless and so much fun! If you are interested in hosting an event, please contact Meaghan McCabe @ firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your support.
- Advocacy update! – Great Education Colorado works hard to ensure our public schools are equitably funded by working with state legislators, communities and students. They have a newly revamped website and they are gearing up for the new legislative season! Learn about how public schools are funded here in Colorado and get involved! Click HERE to link to their website.
- Help wanted! The Asbury Backpack Program provides families in our community with a backpack of nutritious food every Thursday. If you’d like to receive a backpack, and are not already a part of the program please sign up by clicking on one of the links below:.
Receive a Backpack Recibir una mochilia de comida
The Backpack program is run by volunteers. If you would like to help by filling and delivering backpacks Sign Up HERE.
If you would like to provide a monetary donation to support families in our community you can send your donation via Venmo to @AsburyPTSO (in the comments put a note that it’s for the backpack program).
If you have questions please contact the co-Chairs of the program:
Amy Fitzgerald email@example.com
Courtney Cauthon firstname.lastname@example.org
John Bradley email@example.com
- PTSO meetings will be on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30pm. Our next meeting is next Tuesday, February 2nd.
- 2/12/21 – No School
- 2/15/21 – President’s Day No School
- 2/16/21 – No School
- 2/22/21 – 3/6/21 – Direct Give Campaign
- 3/2/21 – PTSO Meeting via Zoom at 6pm
- 3/6/21 – A Magical Evening with Asbury Virtual Event
- 3/6/21 – Dine Out event with Papa John’s
- 3/19/21 – Dine Out event with Euro Crepes
Technology Resources from Mrs. Ravel (updated)
Logging in to a Chromebook
Parent Guide to Chromebooks
Seesaw for Parents
Important Information from Previous Thursday Folders
A Magical Evening with Asbury
PTSO Board Duties and Position Descriptions